How to keep skin hydrated during winter
Dry-flaky winter skin is what we all hate, right?
As the temperature drops and it gets chilly outside, Dry, Flaky, Irritated skin comes into the picture. And all we wonder is how to get dry skin back on track. Though it may seem that dry winter skin is invincible, however with proper skincare, you can easily combat dry winter skin issues and achieve that graceful natural hydrated-looking skin.
One of the first steps toward achieving health hydrated skin in winter is by modifying your skincare routine so that it is as per the winter weather conditions. And also updating your skincare products. You must not make the mistake of sticking to your summer skincare products as they won’t help out in harsh winters. For winter you must look out for the best natural skincare products that contain a high concentration of organic hydrating skin ingredients.
How does winter affect our skin?
Winter takes a toll on skin health. Dryness, Dehydration, Inflammation, and Itching are some common skin problems that most of us experience in the cold winter months. In winter, the skin barrier (outer layer of the skin) is at high risk as proper moisture is required for the appropriate functioning of the skin barrier and in winter the moisture levels drop hugely. Plus the harsh cold winds, dry indoor heat, cold climatic conditions, etc wipe out the natural skin moisture and make the skin severely dry, dehydrated, and dull.
Hydrator vs Moisturiser: Which to choose for your skin Hydrate this winter?
Most of us think that moisturizers and hydrators are the same things but in reality, they are not. A moisturizer mainly has oil-based elements that prevent water loss by locking in moisture but does not really help keep skin hydrated. Hydrators on the other hand keep the skin hydrated by infusing water into the skin cells with the help of humectant ingredients (like glycerin).
Our skin requires both hydration & moisturization in winter. In case you have naturally dry skin then opt for a thick moisturizer that also has hydrating abilities. But in case your skin is dehydrated (appears dull with a noticeable sign of fine lines & wrinkles) then go for a hydrating serum that contains hyaluronic acid.
6 Effective Way to Keep Skin Hydrated During Winters
Here are some easy breezy tips that you must follow to keep skin hydrated and glowing during winter:
- Avoid Long showers: Hot showers are something that we all love on cold winter days but frequent & long hot showers can make your skin dry and itchy. Excessive Hot water strips off natural skin oils and disturbs the skin's natural moisture balance. Your shower time should not last for more than 10 minutes in winter. Plus avoid using harsh soaps as they can also dry out your skin. Instead use a mild, non-toxic, and best natural body wash for your skin.
- Use a super-hydrating moisturizer: The best way to keep your skin hydrating during winter is by using a good moisturizer. A moisturizer helps to lock in moisture and enhances your skin health. One of the best times to apply a moisturizer is after bathing. After taking the shower, you must pat the skin dry and thoroughly apply moisturizer all over your body. When you choose a moisturizer make sure it has the right ingredients. Strictly Organics Natural Face Moisturiser is induced with oils (such as Almond Oil & Sunflower Oil) and organic skin nourishing & moisturizing ingredients (such as Aloe Vera, Geranium, Rose, etc).
- Stay hydrated and eat the right food: Hydration refers to water. Your skin needs water to give it strength and elasticity -- in other words, to look and feel healthy. Rather than drinking water, we prefer to drink to hydrate skin more hot beverages like coffee, tea, etc on chilly winter days. Water is very important for skin hydration. It helps to maintain body moisture levels and is good for skin health. You must drink 6-8 glasses of water in winter. Along with drinking plenty of water, you must eat healthy & skin-hydrating food. Food rich in vitamin D, omega-3, selenium, etc helps to fight dry skin. Avoid eating sugary, high-diet food and don't consume alcohol.
- Don't over wash your face: Washing your face frequently in winter can dehydrate your skin by removing the skin’s natural oil and keeping skin hydrated. It can make your skin appear drier and dull. Cleanse your face only twice a day in winter with an effective cleanser. It is advisable to use a cleanser that not only washes off dirt & but also has natural hydrating ingredients. More importantly, make sure that the cleanser is mild, gentle & fragrance-free, and suits your skin type such as Strictly Organics Tea Tree face wash for dry skin that is specially designed for dry skin types. The cleanser is a power-packed product as it has natural cleansing+moisturisng properties.
- Remember to exfoliate: In winter though the skin gets dry, it still needs some light exfoliation. Exfoliating your skin can help you get rid of dry & dull skin patches so that new healthier skin can appear. And also it makes your other skin care products like moituriser penetrate deeply into the skin and work more effectively. In winter, you must exfoliate only once a week very gently with a mild scrub that is full of natural nourishing properties such as a Bamboo Face Scrub.
- Choose the right winter clothes: In winter, we wear an extra layer of clothes but many times certain winter clothes fabrics such as polyester, wool, synthetic, etc can irritate dry skin and can even cause skin allergies. Opt for lightweight natural fabrics such as cotton that are soft, breathable, and prevent you from cold weather.
What type of moisturizer to use for dry skin in winter?
In winter, you must choose a cream-based moisturizer that has natural non-toxic ingredients & essential oil that can bind moisture to the skin for a very long time and provide relief from extremely winter-dry skin.
What are the benefits of natural face moisturizer for dry skin?
Natural face moisturizer contains plant-based oil & natural formulation that are completely safe and extensively nourishes dry skin. It protects the skin from cold winds, restores the skin barrier, soothes the skin, and prevents skin problems.
Which is the best face moisturizer for dry skin?
Natural & Vegan Face moisturizer from Strictly Organics is the best face moituriser for dry skin. The face moisturiser has an amazing blend of skin moisturizing & hydrating ingredients such as Aloe Vera, Almond Oil, Sunflower Oil, Geranium, Rose, etc.
How should I moisturize my skin in winter?
You must first wash your face with lukewarm water and then pat the skin dry with a clean towel. Apply a moisturizer and wait for 10-15 minutes before applying sunscreen or makeup so that it absorbs into the skin properly.
What are the best natural skincare products for dry winter skin?
One skincare brand whose natural skincare products you must add to your winter skincare routine is Strictly Organics. The brand has a unique range of organic plus vegan skincare products from top natural facial cleansers for dry skin to the best organic facial moisturizer, all their products assist you to fight dry skin.