- How to know if your scalp is healthy?
- What causes an unhealthy scalp
- Benefits of a healthy scalp
- How to get a healthy scalp
How to keep scalp healthy
Do you want healthy nourished hair? Then start taking care of your scalp health. A healthy scalp means healthy hair.
Most of us take scalp care lightly and forget that a healthy scalp is a key to healthy hair. We often pay attention to hair care products that will benefit our hair but forget about our scalp needs. Our scalp issues differ and with the help of the right scalp care routine you can make your scalp healthy & clean. Including haircare products like organic hair serum, exfoliating scalp scrub, etc, in your scalp care regimen is a must.
How to know if your scalp is healthy?
First, let us understand what a healthy scalp is. A healthy scalp is one that is free of flakes, redness, sun damage, irritation, and acne. It is clear with no cuts or skin disruption or dry patches. A healthy scalp feels clean, moisturised, smooth, and well-hydrated. Having severe hair fall, hair thinning, change in hair texture, greasy hair, etc are some of the other signs of an unhealthy scalp.
What causes an unhealthy scalp?
There can be various factors that can cause an unhealthy scalp. Some common factors that can lead to an unhealthy scalp are stress, an unhealthy diet, product build-up, pollution, overactive sebaceous glands, etc. Using hair cosmetics products like Dry shampoo, chemically infused shampoo & conditioner, hair spray, etc can cause scalp problems. Even how you wash your hair, the type of hairstyle you adopt, etc can also be the reason for an unhealthy scalp.
Benefits of a healthy scalp
- Keeps build-ups away: A clean & healthy scalp prevents oil buildup. The presence of excess oil on the scalp can clog hair follicles, and cause infection, inflammation, greasy hair & excessive hair loss.
- Healthier hair follicles: Hair follicles are tiny pores that are present on the skin & scalp and regulate the hair growth cycle, hair texture, hair colour, and more. Maintaining a healthy scalp by following a scalp care routine helps to stimulate hair follicles for better hair growth.
- Thick-Long Healthy hair: Taking care of your scalp and providing it with the essential nutrients, boost hair follicle health and make your hair thicker & longer. Plus it will also prevent hair breakage.
- Prevent scalp ageing: Just like our skin aging, our scalp starts aging which affects hair follicles and leads to hair thinning & loss. However, by adopting and being consistent with your scalp care routine, you can reduce oxidative damage, which slows down scalp ageing
How to get a healthy scalp?
By making small changes to your hair care routine you can achieve a healthy and nourished scalp. Here are some easy 5 tips for a healthy scalp:
- Don't use harsh hair care products: Keeping a check on haircare products and the ingredients used in their formulation can make a huge difference. Make sure the products that you use for your hair do not contain harsh ingredients such as Sulfate, Parabens, Mineral Oil, Petroleum, Fragrance, Alcohol, etc that can leave your scalp irritated, dry, itchy, and can also cause severe allergic reactions. The bad or harsh ingredients in your shampoo, conditioner, etc draw out moisture from the sensitive scalp skin, making your hair look frizzy, dull, and damaged. Instead of using such harmful hair care ingredients, you must use products that are made using chemical-free formulas and contain humectants like coconut oil, aloe vera, etc that retain moisture in hair and are essential for scalp health.
- Exfoliate your scalp: Like skin exfoliation, regular scalp exfoliation is very important. Scalp exfoliation helps in removing excess oil, dead skin cells, product build-ups, hair dandruff in winter , and dirt and makes the scalp healthy & clean. It buffs away all the elements that can clog follicles and also encourages hair growth and makes hair healthier & shinier. There are various methods of exfoliating the scalp. One can either physically exfoliate by using a scrub with granules or a tool or using natural exfoliants present at home (like oatmeal & brown sugar scrub, etc). You can also use chemical exfoliants that are enriched with active ingredients like glycolic acid, etc.
- Use a natural hair serum: A serum can do wonders for your scalp health. Your hair that gets severely damaged due to high chemical products, requires a treatment that can balance and restore the scalp & give you the healthiest hair. And that treatment is a hair serum A hair serum is a liquid-based product formulated with natural ingredients that penetrate into your hair. There are various types of hair serums available in the market like oil-based serums, water-based serums, etc. When choosing a serum make sure that it contains humectant & active natural ingredients. Like you can try Strictly Organics Damage Repair All Natural Hair Serum which has a non-greasy lightweight anti-hair fall formula that helps in repairing the scalp, preventing dryness, improving hair texture, strengthening & smoothen hair, and more. Plus you can use this serum before heat styling to prevent head damage.
- Adopt a healthy diet: Eating a balanced diet is requisite for scalp health. Consuming a diet that lacks essential nutrients & vitamins results not only in unhealthy scalp health but also causes severe hair loss. The minerals and vitamins present in food play an essential role in cellular turnover and the hair follicle growth cycle. In your diet, you must include food rich in protein, vitamin c, zinc, biotin, Omega-3, Vitamin E, Vitamin A, Iron, and other essential nutrients. Eat Seeds, Nuts, Eggs, Fatty Fish, Avocados, Spinach, Meat, Berries, and Soybeans, which aid in maintaining scalp health and hair growth.
- Don't Over wash your hair: Many of us believe that washing your hair frequently can make your hair look silky and oil-free, but in reality, it is not. Over washing your hair strips the natural oil from the scalp, dries out hair strands, and results in more oily hair. To adjust and make the scalp hydrate, your oil glands on the scalp produce more oil, making your hair look oily. Also, if you frequently wash your hair with harsh shampoos or cleansers, it can weaken the microbiome in the scalp, causing scalp problems like inflammation, etc. People who have oily or normal hair scalps must wash their hair twice or thrice a week. In case you have dry hair then wash your hair less frequently.
Also Read : HOW TO KEEP DANDRUFF AWAY THIS WINTER
1.What are the benefits of using natural hair serum for the scalp?
Ans: Natural Hair serums are an effective treatment that actively repairs damaged scalp and hair. The serum penetrates into the hair and strengthens hair follicles, & makes hair smooth, strong, frizz-free, and manageable.
2.Which is the best hair serum in India?
Ans: You can try Strictly Organics Damage Repair All Natural Hair serum which is an all-natural hair serum infused with the power of 15 botanical extracts and helps in hair growth & maintaining scalp health.
3.How to fix an unhealthy scalp?
Ans: You can fix an unhealthy scalp by using hair care products that contain active natural ingredients and are free from toxic elements. You can in your scalp care routine include products like an organic hair serum or natural scalp scrub etc which boost scalp health and make hair look gorgeous
4.How to get a clean healthy scalp?
Ans: You can get a clean healthy scalp by following a daily scalp care routine and making sure that you eat healthy food, wash your hair less often, don't use harsh hair care products, exfoliate your hair, and more.
5.Why is scalp health important?
Ans: Having a good scalp is vital to achieve good hair. A healthy scalp provides a healthy environment that aids in hair growth and regulates hair follicles' health. A poor scalp can lead to severe Hair conditions and can cause premature hair loss.