How to Combat Dry Skin on the Face and its Common Causes
Introduction: What is Dry Skin on the Face
Worried about dry skin on the face? Well, you need to worry about that dry flaky skin on your face as it is a very common skin problem and can be easily managed & treated.
Dry skin also commonly called Xerosis is a skin condition that is very prevalent and most of us have to deal with it in spite of regular moisturizing. Some of the main symptoms of dry skin on the face include flakiness, itching, redness, peeling, very tight & rough skin, and more.
In this blog, we will discuss the causes of dry face and skincare routine for dry skin and remedies to treat it.
What Causes Dry Skin on the Face?
There can be various factors that can cause dry flaky skin. Here are some of the common causes of flaky skin on the face:
- Using too harsh skincare products: Various skincare products like cleansers, serums, toners, etc that you apply on the face can be the main reason for skin dryness. Especially the ones that contain aggressive ingredients like sulphates, parabens, benzyl alcohol, artificial fragrance, and more. These harmful ingredients strip off the skin’s natural oil, disturbing the skin’s pH level and causing dehydration & severe dryness.
- Environmental factors: Changes in environment and moisture levels can lead to dry cracked patches on the face skin. As you must have experienced during winters when the temperature plus the humidity levels are very low, your skin gets very dry and dull. It is because moisture plays an important role in the proper function of the skin barrier. The low humidity draws moisture from the epidermis (outer layer of the skin), which damages skin barrier function and causes skin dryness & flakiness.
- Using hot water for skin: Using hot water to wash your face is not at all good. Your facial skin is very delicate and soft in comparison to other body parts. When you wash your face with hot water, it strips off the skin's natural oil & protein, causing severe dryness which damages the skin’s moisture barrier and increases various skin concerns.
- Certain skin conditions: There are various skin conditions like Contact Dermatitis, Eczema, Psoriasis, etc that can trigger skin dryness on your face & other body areas. In case of such skin conditions, you must visit a healthcare professional or a dermatologist who will provide you with a proper diagnosis, treatment & medications.
- Medications: There are certain medications that can possibly cause flaky skin on the face. Some of these medications include benzoyl peroxide, birth control pills, topical steroids, statins, and more. If you experience any symptoms of dry irritated skin on your face due to medications, you must talk to your doctor and should not on your own stop the medications.
- Other factors: There are many other factors that can contribute to dry skin patches on the face like dehydration due to drinking less water, underlying health conditions (such as thyroid, diabetes, menopause, etc), minerals or vitamin deficiencies, regular smoking, and more.
How to Cure Dry Skin on the Face?
Here are some easy tips that will help you remove dryness from your face:
- Moisturising: Keeping your face skin moisturised all day long by using the best moisturizer for dehydrated skin is the best way to combat dry skin. No matter what your skin type is, a moisturizer brings benefits to all and helps achieve healthy hydrated skin. You must choose a moisturizer as per your face skin type and must know how to moisturize skin naturally.
Make sure to apply a natural face moisturizer twice a day in the morning right after bathing on damp skin and at night before going to bed. Look out for a moisturizer that has the proper texture, hydrates deeply, does not clog pores, and has natural hydrating ingredients like aloe vera, geranium, rose, and more. Avoid using moisturizers that contain synthetic fragrances, alcohol, and chemical formulas as they further dry out your skin.
For hydrating skin, try Strictly Organics Natural Face Moisturizer which is a moisturizer for dry skin packed with Rose, Geranium, Aloe Vera extract, and Almond oil and has an advanced 24-hour moisture-locking formula. The moisturizer helps to repair your face's moisture skin barrier, restore skin balance, and keeps your skin soft & smooth.
- Use gentle facial cleanser: Don't use a facial cleanser that has harsh ingredients like sulfates, synthetic colors, fragrances, and more that leave skin dry and dull looking. Use a dermatologically tested, sulfate-free, natural facial cleanser with gentle formulations like Strictly Organics Natural Facial Cleansers which is the best face wash for dry skin that contains humectant ingredients & skin pH-friendly formula that retains moisture in the skin and prevents skin dryness.
Also, when cleansing your face, be very gentle and don't harshly scrub your face. Using your fingertips, gently with light pressure in a circular motion massage face wash to your skin, and then rinse it off with water.
- Opt for gentle skincare products: The products that you apply on your face like Strictly Organics , vitamin C face serum, facial toner, etc should be mild and have the right ingredients. If your skin is prone to dryness then you must consider using low-pH formula products as they keep skin lipids preserved. Skincare products that have high pH levels can make your face skin dry , irritated and cause severe inflammation.
- Exfoliation is a must: Regular exfoliation helps to remove dead skin cells & build-ups, reduce dry skin patches and improve skin health & texture. It also increases cell regeneration and improves the effectiveness of face moisturizers by allowing them to penetrate deeper into the skin. You can either use chemical exfoliators or mechanical exfoliators for deep exfoliation. Alpha Hydroxy Acids and Beta Hydroxy Acids are chemical exfoliators. Facial scrubs, cleansing brushes, exfoliating loofahs, etc are various mechanical exfoliators. If you have very sensitive skin, then we would suggest you to use a gentle Strictly Organics exfoliating face scrubs.
- Make your bath routine healthy: Don't use hot water to bath as it causes further skin dryness and removes all the natural skin oil that holds skin moisture. So, always try to use lukewarm water during showers. Also, reduce your bath time and don't stay in the shower for more than 10 minutes as the more you stay in the water the more your skin is going to dry.
- Use a humidifier: Low humidity levels are a major cause of dry face & skin. If you live in an area where humidity stays low and has an arid climate then you must use a humidifier which will help to add moisture to the air and prevent face dryness & irritated skin.
- HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST FACE MOISTURIZERS FOR YOUR SKIN
- BENEFITS OF ROSE WATER FOR YOUR FACE & SKIN
- BENEFITS OF APPLYING ALOE VERA ON THE FACE AT NIGHT
- EVERYTHING ABOUT MINIMALIST SKINCARE ROUTINE
1.Which is the best natural moisturizer for dry skin?
Ans. You can try Strictly Organics Natural & Vegan Face Moisturizer which is specially formulated for dry skin. It's a lightweight best natural face moisturiser with a smooth non-greasy texture. The moisturiser contains plant-based hydrating ingredients like Aloe Vera, Geranium, Rose, etc which provides deep moisturization and also improves skin texture.
2.Can you recommend a good face pack for dry skin?
Ans. For dry skin, you must apply Strictly Organics Face Packs that contain natural ayurvedic ingredients that have high moisturizing properties and are toxin-free like Multani mitti, rose, aloe vera, etc as they work best against skin dryness & irritation. You can try Strictly Organics' all-natural face packs.
3.What are the best products to nourish your dry skin?
Ans. The best products for dry skin nourishment are ones that are free from toxic substances, skin-friendly, alcohol-free, and do not contain any harsh ingredients. Try to use natural skin care products like pure aloe vera gel, sulphate-free gentle facial cleansers, and more.
4.Which is the best cream for dry skin on your face?
Ans. Strictly Organics Tea Tree Face Wash is a good face wash that you must try to reduce dry skin on your face. This facial cleanser is a very light daily use natural facial cleanser that effectively cleanses deeply seated impurities and binds moisture to the skin.